Sunday 14 July 2013

Some Thoughts

I'm not the type of person that has many strong opinions on things. I definitely do not push my opinions on other people or think they are stupid for having opinions of their own. Well, maybe it depends on the subject.

On this blog, I will not be posting photos of me breastfeeding. The Internet doesn't need to see that. Those photos will be for me, my boyfriend and my close family only. While on the topic of breastfeeding, my intention is to do it but if it doesn't work out and the baby doesn't want to then I will not feel like a failure if I have to use formula. I do not care how my baby gets its food as long as it is healthy and grows properly.

I don't have a Birth Plan. All I know is I will deliver a baby. If it happens to be naturally, then that's all good. If I have to have an epidural, that's fine. If I have to have a caesarean, I have no problem with that either. Because I know that plans never work out the way you want them to. Again, I do not care as long as my baby is healthy and happy when it arrives.

We are not finding out the gender until it is born. I don't think it's necessary and would rather it be a surprise at the very end. We will have the nursery in neutral colours and have a couple of neutral outfits for the first few days. It will be a summer baby so will not need many clothes to start off with.

One topic I do have an opinion on though, is finance and living situations. I am a big believer in doing things yourself. I have been saving ever since I started work and it was easy at the beginning because I was 17 and still living at home. The only thing I had to pay for was my phone bill. Then my parents split up and Mum moved out, so I started paying her rent and had to pay the bills. Then Mum wanted to sell the house so Dad and I had to move out and I had to pay even more rent and the bills were a lot more. I was paying all by myself, the rent and bills were not shared. Luckily I really didn't go out that much so I could still save as well. When the house was sold, I received some of the money. I always wanted to buy a big house, not a small unit or apartment and wanted as much deposit as possible so the loan wouldn't have to be huge. I thought I would have to do it on my own and that was going to be impossible to buy in the area that I wanted.

At the beginning of this year, I was made redundant and received a large payout. Then I found out I was pregnant. Well, I had to buy a house then, there was no room for us all in the place I was renting and it's hard to come by a 4 bedroom house to rent in a good area for a decent price, especially one that allows pets. I had a decent deposit and as I didn't have a job anymore, it didn't matter to me if I lived a bit further out than what I originally wanted. Luckily I have a wonderful boyfriend who has a well paying job and can pay the mortgage and support us all. Unfortunately, I broke my lease and still have to pay rent until they find new tenants.

My point is, life is hard for most of us. Living is expensive. Sometimes we have to make sacrifices and go without something so we can have something else. You can't rent, leave your job for any reason, have a baby AND expect to save for a house at the same time. You may have to put off buying a house for a bit and unfortunately use your savings for the rent and the baby. I don't believe you should move in with your parents. You are 2 adults starting your own family. And if you're also planning a wedding? Well that doesn't make any sense to me either. If you can't afford to rent your own place on one wage, have a baby and save for a house deposit, then you can't afford to pay for a wedding either. You can't afford holidays. You can't afford meals out all the time. You can't afford expensive clothes for yourself or the baby. That's not how saving works. You don't move in with your parents to afford every single little thing that you want. That isn't being a grown up. That is not living in the real world.

It's been a long day and I must go to bed.
Goodnight! =)

No comments:

Post a Comment